If your teenager needs orthodontic treatment to straighten their teeth, they may have said they want Invisalign®. As a parent you need to help your teen determine whether this form of orthodontic care is actually the most appropriate one for them.
Many teenagers do not realize the commitment it requires on their part to successfully complete Invisalign® treatment. To help you and your teen decide if Invisalign® is right for them, you both need to consider the following:
- The aligners have to be worn constantly, except while eating or drinking.
Some teens actually think they can skip wearing the aligners for extended periods of time and then wonder why their teeth are not straightening. In order for the aligners to work, they have to be worn most of the time. If your teen can commit to leaving them in, even while they sleep, then Invisalign® may be right for them.
- Your teenager will have to brush their teeth more often.
Aside from brushing their teeth in the morning and before bedtime, your teen will have to carry a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss with them. They will need to brush their teeth after eating meals and snacks, as well as most beverages. They may also have to floss their teeth to help remove trapped food particles more than once a day.
- Your teenager will have to carry an aligner cup with them.
The aligner cup is required to temporary store the aligners during snacks and meal times, as well as drinking beverages. Since your teen has school and is socially active, they will need to include this in their dental care supplies they keep with them whenever they are away from home.
Now that you understand the level of commitment required for Invisalign™, let’s take a look at some of the benefit this form of orthodontic treatment can provide your teenager.
- Your teen won’t have to worry about not being able to eat and drink their favorite foods. Since they take the aligners out while eating and brush their teeth afterwards, they are free to eat or drink whatever they want.
- Your teen won’t have to hide their smile. Some teens feel embarrassed when they have to wear braces and hide their beautiful smiles. With Invisalign™, this is not an issue and most of their peers will not even know they are wearing the aligners since they are clear.
- Sports related injury risks are lower with Invisalign™ compared to traditional braces. If your teen plays sports, they don’t have to worry about the mouth guard not fitting correctly. Nor do they have to worry about the metal components used in braces potentially causing injury if they sustain an impact to their face while playing sports.
- Your teen will look forward to their orthodontic visits. There are no wires to adjust or other such uncomfortable procedures common with traditional braces. Rather, their dentist simply verifies their teeth are straightening on schedule and you or your teen have no issues or concerns.
To learn more about Invisalign™ treatment for your teen and help deciding whether it is right for them, please feel free to schedule an initial consultation at Oasis Family Dental by calling (807) 623-2662 today!